Connecting a Windows 10 computer to a Mac is more complex than you think, but it can still be done.
In macOS you just have to use the shared section of a Finder window to locate the closest Macs (or use AirDrop). Windows 10 users use ‘Groups’ of work to network each other. But it is strangely difficult to connect a Windows 10 PC to a Mac through a network.
The Windows computer will appear in the ‘Shared’ section on your Mac, but when you click on it and then on ‘Connect as ….’, a message will appear telling you that there has been a connection problem with the server.
In this article we explain how to solve this error and thus be able to connect your Mac with your Windows computer to share files and folders.
Recommended: How to change the username on Mac
How to share files between a Windows and a Mac
We explain how to connect your Windows computer and your Mac and copy files from each of the devices.
- Make sure that both your Windows 10 machine and your Mac are connected to the same network.
- Click on ‘Cortana’ in Windows 10 and type: ‘Command Prompt’. Open the ‘Command Prompt’ application. Maximize the screen so you can have a good view of everything.
- Type ‘ipconfig’ and click on ‘Back’.
- Locate your IP address. It will appear as ‘IPv4 Address’ under the Ethernet adapter or wireless wifi LAN adapter (depending on your address). There will be four sets of numbers, for example: 192.168.0.20.
- Now go to your Mac. Press ‘Command + K’.
- Enter ‘smb: //’ and the IP address. IE, “smb: //192.168.0.20” and press ‘Back’.
- Click on ‘Registered user’ and enter the username and password you use to log in to the Windows 10 PC. This can be your Microsoft account and password or the user ID and password for your account.
- Click on ‘Connect’. The connection through a Wi-Fi connection can take several minutes.
- A window will appear in which you will be asked to select the ‘volumes’ you wish to join, with the ‘Users’ option. Click on ‘Accept’
- Open a Finder window.
- You will see that the SMB share is marked as the IP address in ‘Shared’ in the sidebar. Click on this option, then on ‘Users’ and your username. Here all the files stored on the Windows computer will be. You can copy files and folders to and from the Windows computer in this section.