Sometimes, if you are a MacOS user, you will need to use Windows. Either because of the work. Or because of the compatibility of a program, etc.
Installing Windows 10 on macOS is easier than you think thanks to Boot Camp. And we’ll tell you how to do it step by step.
To be able to install Windows 10 on the Mac, a series of requirements must be met that we show you below:
- Have a compatible Mac with Windows 10. All those computers, whether desktop or portable, whose generation is 2012 or later are compatible.
- Have enough space on the disk to create a partition with Boot Camp. The minimum size is 64 GB although Apple recommends at least 128 GB.
- Have an external keyboard and a mouse or trackpad. In case you want to install on a desktop Mac.
- Have an empty USB flash drive with a capacity of at least 16 GB. Unless you own a MacBook Pro 2015 or later, MacBook Air 2015 or later, MacBook 2015 or later, iMac 2015 or later, iMac Pro and Mac Pro 2013.
Recommended: Free books read amp listen for PC (Windows – Mac OS)
Step by step installation of Windows 10 in macOS
If the equipment you own meets the requirements mentioned above you can continue with the installation as we tell you below:
- You should download a Windows disk image. For this you can download from the official website of Microsoft choosing which version of the system you want to download. In this case the Windows 10. You should save the image of the system in the USB flash drive in case your Mac is one of those mentioned in the requirements section.
- Go to the Boot Camp Assistant. You can find it in the Launchpad. Or by quickly accessing the cmd + space command and typing it in the search bar.
- The Assistant Boot Camp will guide you step by step giving you facilities. Such as the choice of space on your disk that you want to give to Windows 10. This part is very important. Because later it will be very complicated to allocate more or less space to the partition in which Windows will be installed. During this step in which the necessary drivers will be installed to start Windows 10 it is possible that you will be required to insert the flash drive where you have downloaded the system image.
- Once the steps of the Boot Camp Wizard are completed, the Mac will be restarted. And the Windows installer will be displayed. If you are using the flash drive you will be asked where you want to install. You will have to select the partition called “BOOTCAMP”. In the case that you are not using that USB drive formatting and subsequent installation will be done automatically.
- Finalizing the above process we recommend you to disconnect all external devices. Such as monitors and disks that are not necessary during the installation
- When it finishes the installation, the computer will restart. And you will have installed Windows 10 if you do not configure it to your liking.