Today we use passwords for everything: to access our bank details, our institute page, our e-mail, etc. and it is very frequent that a time comes when the head turns us back when remembering so many passwords, having to constantly re-establish them.
It is true that for this we have many tools such as 1Password or others that keep passwords, Apple also offers a keychain that is a way to have all our passwords synchronized and within our reach to enter them if we do not remember, but there are many which Apple for security is not stored and only known to the user, and that is the famous password logon of the Mac, so if you’ve bought one I advise you to find a safe but easy to remember, if on the contrary you usually forget it easily and want to reset it using a simpler one, do not miss this tutorial.
How to reset your password in macOS Sierra?
Resetting the password on the Mac may seem cumbersome or almost impossible. Well it is not like that, there are a series of very simple steps that will help us to restore it without being sweating excessively.
It should be mentioned that there are several ways to reset the password on our Mac, but we will see them later, then I leave the steps to reset your password in a simple but requires a more advanced level with respect to the other two.
1.Restart the Mac normally and when we hear the start noise press Command + R to start the recovery mode .
2. Once inside the recovery mode we will see a window with the title “macOS Utilities” in the top bar we will go to Utilities -> Terminal
3. Once inside it ends we will write the following:
4. Once the word is typed in Terminal , press Enter , to activate said command and then we will have to do the same with the password reset tool of macOS Sierra.
5. We will then see a menu with the following options: new password, confirm the new password, establish a password suggestion (recommended) and click “Next” to establish the new password for the account in question.
6. Once the passwords are entered, restart the Mac, and we will check that it is unlocked using the new password.
How to reset the password using your Apple ID?
Previously we saw an advanced but simple method to reset the password to log in to your Mac, now I’m going to give you other steps that you can also follow and that are within the official page of Apple that you can consult here:
If you have Apple ID you should follow the following steps:
- Select Apple menu > Restart, or press the start button on your computer and then click on Restart .
- Click on your user account, then on the question mark in the password field and then on the arrow next to “change it using your Apple ID”.
- Enter an Apple ID and password and then click Next .
- Follow the instructions that appear on the screen.
Recommended: How to reopen tabs recently closed in Safari
How to reset your password using a recovery key?
If you have activated FileVault encryption and created a recovery key, you can use the recovery key to reset the login password , following the steps below:
- Select Apple menu > Restart , or press the start button on your computerand then click on Restart.
- Click on your user account , then on the question mark in the password field and then on the arrow next to “change it using the recovery key”.
- Enter the recovery key and then click Next .
- Follow the steps indicated on the screen .
As you can see, it is not impossible to reset your Mac’s passwords, but as I said before I advise you to choose a simple and safe one, to avoid all these steps.
I hope this tutorial has helped you and solved some doubts, if you do not already know, do not hesitate to consult them, from iOSMac we will be happy to answer them.
Also Read: How to Create Strong and Effective Passwords